In this first episode of the Women and Wellness Series, Terry Folks describes how she uses the Wellness Wheel in her practice.
The Wellness Wheel allows us to examine our self-care and find balance in each of the four major domains of life: Spiritual, Emotional, Mental/Intellectual, and Physical.
“Women in our culture are too often expected to assist with other people’s self care – at their own expense,” Terry notes. “What I see most often in my practice is ‘imbalance’ as women attempt to juggle so much service to so many others in only so many hours.”
Terry uses the Wellness Wheel in a variety of ways in her practice. She shares some of the self-care strategies that come directly from working with the wheel.
“Self Compassion is key to reflecting on your current balance (or lack of balance),” says Terry. “We all have ‘wobbly wheels’ occasionally, especially as we move through life’s transitions. That’s understandable. My concern is what can happen to our sense of ourselves (our “I Am-ness”) if we stay un-balanced for too long.”
Terry Folks is a Canadian Certified Counsellor, Spiritually Integrated Psychotherapist and Registered Clinical Counsellor.
She maintains a thriving practice in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island where she specializes in women’s issues.
Her clients include professional women (working or semi-retired) and professional “Moms” (women dedicated to parenting, home schooling, house management without pay, etc).
Terry also facilitates “Sophia” Women’s Wisdom groups for like-minded women who wish to explore their inner wisdom as reflected in the ancient global Wisdom Traditions.
As a Healing Touch practitioner, she also offers treatments with co-practitioner Wendy Turner at SpiritFirst Counselling and Healing Touch in Comox.
Visit www.spiritfirstcounselling.ca to learn more about Terry.
- Dr. Jane E. Myers (not Linda Myers) Counseling For Wellness: Theory, Research, And Practice
- Rumer Godden Quote
- Brene Brown: Men, Women, and Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough
- On Sleep: Matthew Walker interview
- Michael Singer: The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
- Carol Gilligan: In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women’s Development
- Susan Cain: TED talk on Introverts and her book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking
- Starhawk: Spiral Dance, The – 20th Anniversary: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Goddess: 20th Anniversary Edition
Terry and I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. What did you learn about yourself in this episode and what are the actions you plan to take to bring more balance to your wheel?
Thanks for listening and be sure to sign up so we can email you when new episodes are available.
Imagine-Nation-Radio has an affiliate account with Amazon. If you choose to purchase books through our links, you are supporting the podcast and we very much appreciate it.